Palak Methi Chaman
Recipe type: Curries
Go green with this methi and palak combo and build up reserves of vitamin A, calcium and folic acid.
- 1½ cups chopped spinach (palak)
- ¾ cup fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1 cup low fat paneer (cottage cheese) , cut into cubes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with ½ cup low fat milk
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 1 tbsp grated low fat paneer (cottage cheese)
- Blanch the spinach and fenugreek leaves in a vesselful of boiling water.
- Drain and keep aside to cool.
- When cool grind to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves and asafoetida and fry for a while.
- Add the spinach-fenugreek paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Add the paneer cubes, milk-corn flour mixture and sugar and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with paneer.