Pumpkin Dry Vegetable
Recipe type: Curries
The health benefits of pumpkin are not too widely known, but it contains a horde of valuable nutrients like fibre, iron, folic acid, potassium, vitamin A and C. Soak in the health benefits of pumpkin, even as you delight in this delicious subzi, with steamed rice.
- ¼ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ cup sliced onions
- 1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 4 cups red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu) cubes
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- Heat a non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when hot, add the fenugreek and mustard seeds and dry roast for 10 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander powder and chilli powder. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of water and cook while stirring continuously for few minutes.
- Add the onions and ginger, and cook while stirring continuously till the onions turn golden brown.
- Increase the flame, add the red pumpkin, sugar, salt, turmeric powder and ½ cup of water and cook till the water starts boiling.
- Reduce the flame, cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, till the pumpkin becomes tender.
- Open the lid, add the dry mango powder and stir well.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and serve hot.