Spicy Potato Kurma - Bangala Dumpa Kurma
Recipe type: Curries
Onion and tomato are cooked in tempered oil. Potato is boiled and cubed and added to the onion tomato mixture. A freshly made spice powder is used for taste and aroma. Once the potato is absorbs all the flavors, the kurma is served with chapati or with roti etc.
- Potato 1 Large
- Onion 1 Large
- Tomato 2 Medium
- Green Chiles 3 – 4
- Red Chile Powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Salt to taste
- Chana Dal ½ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry Leaves 6
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon 1½ inch Stick
- Cloves 3
- Star Anise ½
- Coriander Seeds 1 tbsp
- Oil ½ tsp
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the tomato.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Halve the potato and boil it in enough water till just soft.
- Strain the potato, peel off the skin and chop into big cubes.
- Mash couple of potato cubes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add all masala ingredients in order.
- Fry them on low flame till aromatic or till they change color.
- Cool the roasted ingredients and grind them into fine powder using a spice blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When chana dal changes color, add onion and green chiles.
- Fry briefly and stir in chopped tomatoes.
- When tomatoes turn a little mushy, add chopped potato, mashed potato, ground masala powder, red chile powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Fry for a minute, add around half a cup of water and cook covered on low flame.
- Once the oil separates, uncover and fry for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve potato kurma with chapati or with steamed rice.
Make sure potato is cooked properly. Suggestions: If the potato is not cooked well, add a splash of water and cook covered till done.