Spinach Gravy Curry - Palakura Masala Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Oil is tempered with whole spices and onion and tomato are cooked in it. Spinach is chopped up and added to the gravy along with sesame powder and cooked on low heat till done. Finally garam masala is added to the finished spinach and served with steamed rice or with roti.
- Spinach 1½ Cups Packed
- Onion 1
- Tomato 2
- Green Chiles 2 – 3
- Sesame Seeds 1 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder a pinch
- Red Chile Powder ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder ½ tsp
- Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Bay Leaf 1
- Cinnamon 1 inch Stick
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Wash and roughly chop the spinach leaves.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Peel, remove ends and roughly chop the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Roast the sesame seeds on low heat till light golden in color and grind it into fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat, add cumin seeds, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- When cumin seeds start to sizzle, add chopped onion.
- Fry the onion till it turns light brown around the edges.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and green chiles and fry for few more seconds.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes soften and become mushy.
- Then add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Now add chopped spinach, sesame seeds powder and around half a cup of water.
- Cook covered till spinach is cooked well.
- Finally stir in garam masala and remove from heat.
- Serve spinach gravy curry with steamed rice or with roti.
Make sure to cook the spinach well. Suggestions: Adjust the amount of spinach according to preference. Variations: You can also add a tbsp of rice flour or corn flour thicken up the gravy.