Stir Fried Cabbage with Schezuan Peppers
Recipe type: Curries
Schezuan peppercorns are known as Tirphal in Marathi and can be found at local baniya shops. It is used extensively in Goan cooking and along the Southern coast. They are also used in Chinese cooking and in this dish, they add more flavour to cabbage which is otherwise a bland vegetable.
- 3 cups cabbage cubes
- 2 tsp Schezuan peppercorns (tirphal)
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies, broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp Schezuan sauce for cooking
- 1 tbsp white wine
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok or a frying pan, add the Schezuan peppercorns, ginger and dry red chillies and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage and 1¾ cups of water and allow it to cook till the cabbage is tender and the water evaporates.
- Add the wine and cook on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add the Schezuan sauce, sugar and salt and allow it to come to a boil.
- Add the cornflour paste and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately.