Stir Fried Water Chestnuts
Recipe type: Curries
For water chestnut lovers this is the best way to eat them clean and healthy as they are stir fried in olive oil with garlic and chilli flakes. The garlic and chilli flakes coat the water chestnuts really well to give a nice gilli garlic flavor.
- ½ kg waterchestnuts
- 2 garlic (lehsun) cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dry red chilli flakes
- Put the water chestnuts in hot water for 2 minutes. Take out.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the oil to the pan and allow it to heat up for 20 seconds.
- Add the water chestnuts to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to stir the waterchestnuts and coat the oil. Add the chilli flakes.
- Cook the water chestnuts on a high flame, until lightly browned for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic mixture to the pan and cook, stirring continuously for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
- Cutting water chestnuts:
- You need to slice the end off so that you can see the inside layer of water chestnuts. Then peel the chestnuts as they are very hard to do so.