Tadka Dal Fry
Recipe type: Curries
Tadka Dal Fry (aka Tadka Dhal) is a wonderful combination of 3 different types of Daals (lentils). The taste is just amazing and will have everyone guessing which daal it is. Blend it well for a smooth texture or leave it where you can see the channa daal and enjoy the textured look and feel.
- Toor Daal (Split pigeon peas)- ⅓rd of a cup
- Mung Daal (Split mung beans) – ⅓rd of a cup
- Channa Daal (Split garbanzo beans)- ⅓rd of a cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 med., finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – ¼th tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- For Tadka (Seasoning):
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – pinch
- Curry Leaves – few
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
- Green Chili – to taste, slit
- Lime Juice – to taste
- Cilantro – Garnish, finely chopped
- Combine all the daals, wash well and soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain out the water and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add Water and a little bit of Salt.
- Cover and pressure cook on medium heat and allow it to whistle 3 times.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat Oil on medium flame.
- Once the Oil is hot, add in the Turmeric Powder and the Asafoetida.
- We can then add in the Onions and a little Salt and cook the onions till they turn translucent.
- Once done, add in the dry powders – Cumin, Red Chili, Coriander and Garam Masala.
- Cook for 10-15 seconds.
- Stir in the Daal, check Salt and Water consistency and allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in a serving dish and set aside.
- For the tadka, take a small skillet and heat up the Clarified Butter on medium heat.
- Once hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add in Cumin Seeds, Curry Leaves, Green Chilis, Garlic, Ginger and cook for a few minutes.
- Top the Daal with this tadka, Cilantro Leaves and Lime Juice.
1. Use different daals for a refreshing change.