Seasoned Urad Daal
Recipe type: Curries
Seasoned Urad Daal aka Sukhi (dry) Daal is a very unusual dal so think outside the box and give it a try. Just another fantastic and tasty way of getting your share of proteins.
- Urad Daal – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1.25 cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1″ pc.
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Onion – ½ medium (finely sliced)
- Green Chili – to taste
- Lime Juice – for garnish
- Wash and soak the Urad daal for an hour and keep aside.
- Pour in 1 tsp of the Oil in a pressure cooker and allow it to heat on medium flame.
- Meanwhile combine the dry spices (Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Red Chili) in a bowl.
- Add in 2 tbsps of water and mix and keep aside.
- Once the Oil is hot, add in the Ginger and Garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the spice paste (from step 4) and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the pre-soaked and drained Urad Daal to the cooker.
- Add in the water and some salt, mix.
- Close the cooker and give it 2 whistles and take it off the flame.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the Oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add in the sliced Onions and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Take them out and set them aside on a paper-towel. Allow them to crisp (do not cover).
- In the same pan, add in the balance of the Oil.
- Put in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter and then add in the Green Chili.
- Give it a 10 second roast and turn off the flame.
- Check on the pressure cooker and make sure it is safe to open.
- The Daal should be soft and the water absorbed by the Daal.
- Heat Cumin & Green Chilies again and add the Daal to the pan.
- Mix well till it is hot all the way through.
- Serve and garnish with lime juice, Fried Onions and Cilantro.