TOOR DAL AMTI MAHARASHTRIAN SPICY DAL
Recipe type: Curries
Amti is a typical Maharashtrian spicy dal which is slightly hot, spicy and tangy to taste. This dish is the essence of daily menu in most Maharastrian homes.Amti, Bhaat & Bhaji is the essence of daily menu in the homes of Maharashtra. Amti is a little hot, a little sweet and a little tangy. It is a basic dal prepared differently in each regions of Maharashtra and is the staple part of every meal. Amti is generally eaten with rice, roti or any variety of bhakris (jowar ki bhakri, jowar bajre ki bhakri etc.)Toor dal Amti is a traditional Maharashtrian spicy dal preparation that has a tangy and cooling touch made with tur dal seasoned with spices and sweetened with jaggery making the taste refreshing and irresistible to your taste buds
- Tomatoes, Sliced 1 Numbers
- Goda Masala 1 Teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder 1 Teaspoons
- Hing (asafoetida) Pinch
- Curry Leaves few Springs
- Green Chillies, Chopped 2-3 Numbers
- Turmeric Powder ¼ Teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds ½ Teaspoons
- Mustard Seeds ½ Teaspoons
- Oil 1 ml
- Drumsticks 2 Numbers
- Toor Dal, Boiled 1 Cup
- Jaggery 1 Teaspoons
- Fresh Grated Coconut 1 Tablespoons
- Salt To Taste
- Coriander Leaves 1 Springs
- Tamarind Juice ½ Cup
- Firstly wash dal and cook it in the pressure cooker adding little oil, turmeric and green chillies. The dal should not be mashy. Boil drumsticks until done and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in a pan, when it get hot add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, pinch of hing, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, goda masala, and sliced tomatoes and sauté all the ingredients well.
- Add in the dal and drumsticks and mix well. Add jaggery, salt and allow it to boil for some time. Add 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut, coriander leaves and ½ cup tamarind juice. Simmer the dal for about 2 to 3 minutes and bring it to boil until the raw flavour of tamarind juice is gone.
- Finally when the frothiness is gone, switch off the flame and the toor dal amti is ready to serve.