GONGURA MUTTON RECIPE
Recipe type: Curries
A spicy lamb curry with the distinctive taste of it main ingredient gongura or sorrel leaves
- ½ kg lamb meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 10 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- For the curry
- 3 tblsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 4 whole green cardamoms (hari ilaichi)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 200 g gongura leaves
- 1 large onion thinly chopped
- 1 stem large curry leaves
- Boil the mutton and ginger garlic with some salt in a pressure cooker.
- Fish out the ginger garlic and make a paste of it and keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat oil and add all the whole spices.
- Once they start spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste, green chilies and then the onions.
- SautÃ© till it becomes pink in color and then add the gongura leaves, curry leaves and all the ground spices and salt.
- SautÃ© till the oil is separated from the mixture.
- Now add the meat pieces and sautÃ© for five minutes so that they get well wrapped with the spices paste.
- Then add water for curry and boil till it thickens
- Garnish with fresh coriander or mint leaves and serve with rice.