Recipe type: Snacks
These steamed dumplings can be served either as a farsaan with a meal or as an anytime snack.
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- ½ cup jowar (white millet) flour
- ½ cup leftover khichadi
- 2 to 3 tbsp curds (dahi)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- oil for greasing
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- For the tempering
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead to make a soft dough using a little water if required.
- Divide the dough into a 3 equal portions and shape each portion into a cylindrical roll of about 125 mm (5") in length.
- Place the rolls on a greased steaming dish and steam for 10 to 12 minutes till firm.
- Remove, cool and cut into 25 mm (1") thick slices.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the sliced muthias and sauté over a low flame till they are lightly browned.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.