Paneer Chana Seekh Kebab
Recipe type: Snacks
A delicate combination of grated paneer and chana dal, with a faint trace of carom seeds! relish these seekh kebabs with mint chutney and a dip of your choice.
- To Be Mixed Into A Marinade:
- 1½ tsp ginger (adrak)
- 1 tbsp grated onions
- ¼ cup cornflour
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients:
- ½ cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves (phudina) leaves
- 1½ cups grated paneer
- salt to taste
- For Serving:
- few lemon slices
- hot and sweet dip
- mint leaves chutney
- Combine the chana dal and 1 cup of water in a pan and cook on a medium flame till all the water dries up. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine the cooked dal and the marinade in a bowl and mix well.
- Pound this mixture using a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta) and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a kadhai, add the carom seeds and stir for 30 seconds. Add the chilli flakes, coriander, mint leaves and sauté on a slow flame for another 30 seconds.
- Add the pounded dal mixture, mix well and cook on a low flame till the mixture is completely dry. Keep aside to cool for a while.
- Add the paneer and salt and knead into stiff dough, ensuring that the mixture is as dry as as possible.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Brush the skewers using the remaining oil and shape a portion of the dough into 50 mm. (2”) long kebabs, directly onto the skewers.
- Brush little oil on the kebab and cook in a tandoor for 5 minutes or till the kababs are light brown in colour from all sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with lemon slices , hot and sweet dip.
Ensure that the chana dal doesn’t get overcooked to avoid the kebabs from getting soggy and to retain a dry crispy texture. Also ensure that the dough is not over-kneaded since too much kneading will make the mixture soft and will not stay on the skewer.