Indian masala paste
Recipe type: Tips
This recipe for masala paste means your favourite Indian dish is never far off .
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1½ tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (hot) chilli powder
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place mustard seeds in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute or until seeds start to pop. Add peppercorns, cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and cinnamon. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Allow to cool completely.
- Place spice mixture in a food processor. Add chilli, garlic, ginger, vinegar and oil. Process until a smooth paste forms. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
To Freeze: Spoon into airtight container. Cover surface with vegetable oil. Freeze for up to 1 to 2 months. Thaw in fridge overnight.