Capsicum with Peanuts - Capsicum Pallilu Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Bell peppers / capsicum is chopped up and cooked in tempered oil. A powder is prepared from roasted peanuts, urad dal and red chiles. Once the bell peppers are cooked while still holding a light crunch, they are seasoned with the ground peanuts powder. This capsicum with peanuts tastes good with steamed rice or with any flat bread.
- Bell Pepper 2
- Raw Peanuts 2 Tbsps
- Urad Dal 1 Tbsp
- Whole Red Chiles 1 – 2
- Tamarind ½ inch Piece (optional)
- Salt to taste
- For Talimpu:
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 1 tsp
- Wash the bell pepper, remove ends and chop the bell pepper after discarding the seeds.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add urad dal and fry till it turns light golden brown.
- Remove urad dal from heat and add peanuts.
- Fry till peanuts are golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and add few drops of oil and broken red chiles and fry till they change color.
- Cool all the ingredients to room temperature and grind them into fine powder along with tamarind using a spice blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add bell pepper and salt.
- Cook covered till bell pepper turns soft.
- Uncover and stir in peanuts powder.
- Fry briefly and serve capsicum with peanuts over plain steamed rice.
Make sure capsicum is cooked well. Suggestions: If bell peppers are not cooked well, put them back on heat, add a splash of water and cook covered till done.