Coconut Aval (poha)
Recipe type: Breakfast
An awesome tasting and healthy Coconut aval [poha] makes for a great breakfast choice. The poha or aval is soaked and then cooked with grated coconut, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add a dash of lime juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves or roasted peanuts.
- 2 cups beaten rice (poha)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- ½ tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 2 green chillies
- a few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- cashewnuts (kaju)
- a small pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp salt
- Soak aval, salt in ¼ cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Fry mustard, urad dhall, channa dhall, hing, curry leaves, red
- Chillies, chopped green chillies, and coconut in coconut oil
- Until coconut turns slightly brown. add soaked aval to the
- Above, and simmer the stove and stir it well for 5 minutes.
- Roast cashews in litte ghee, and add it to the above.