Boondi Ladoo – Diwali Sweets
Recipe type: Dessert
Boondi Ladoo is an all time favorite festival mithai. With Diwali and other festivals right around the corner, what better time than now to make this easy boondi laddu recipe. See the delight as you watch your kids enjoy this moist and sweet ladoo and realize that Lord Ganesh is not the only big fan of Boondi Ladoos!
- Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 1 cup
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 1 Tbsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Oil – for deep frying
- For Syrup:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ¾ cup
- Saffron – pinch
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cashews/Almonds/Pistachio – ¼ cup, powdered
- In a mixing bowl, sieve Chickpea Flour and add Ghee and ½ cup Water. Mix well until there are no more lumps and keep aside.
- In a medium pan, add Sugar, Saffron and ¾ cup Water for the sugar syrup.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 9-10 minutes (210F – 215 F). After 9-10 minutes, reduce the flame to a simmer and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes. Sugar syrup should be ½ thread consistency.
- Start heating Oil for deep frying.
- Turn off stove and add Cardamom Powder to the sugar syrup.
- Once Oil is hot, place a small amount of boondi batter onto a Boondi Maker or flat ladle with holes and gently tap the sides with a spoon to allow batter droplets to fall into the oil. Using a circular motion with the spoon, you can help the remaining batter go through the holes.
- Fry Boondi until light golden, remove them from the oil allowing excess oil to drain off and place them directly into the sugar syrup.
- Using a different spoon, mix the fried boondi into the sugar syrup until they get coated.
- IMPORTANT: Wipe the bottom of the boondi maker clean (each time) before continuing to fry remaining boondi.
- Once all the boondi are fried and submerged in the sugar syrup, add Powdered Nuts and mix well.
- Allow mixture to rest for 10 -15 minutes (until cool enough to touch, but not too cool).
- Dip hands in water, shake off excess and using a ¼ cup measure, take the mixture into your palms and press to form a round ball (ladoo). Continue to make remaining ladoos.
- Starting from the first ladoo made, gently press the ladoo a second time to make a tighter ball. Do this for all the ladoos.
- Allow the ladoos to cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- Ladoos can be kept at room temperature for 1-2 days but should be kept in the refrigerator for any longer time. They should be served at room temperature.
- Makes approx. 15 ladoos.