Recipe type: Dessert
Funnel Cake is a State Fair favorite and has the longest lines possible and honestly, we think we go there just to be able to enjoy this wonderful treat. The “yummy, sweet, warm, crispy-outside and soft-inside” goodness makes the long lines so worth the trouble and effort.
- Egg – 1
- Milk – 1 cup
- All- Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for deep flying
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
- Cinnamon Powder for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Egg, Milk and Vanilla Essence.
- Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt.
- Add the Sugar into the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time ensuring there are no lumps formed.
- The consistency should be thin and add milk if needed.
- Heat Oil for deep frying (approx 360 degrees F).
- Using a finger, close the tip of the funnel and fill the funnel with the batter.
- Release the finger from the tip of the funnel and in a circular motion allow the batter to flow into the Oil.
- Fry until golden brown (approx 2 minutes).
- With the help of tongs and a fork carefully turn the funnel cake over.
- Allow the underside to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Drain on paper towels for 1 minute and transfer to a plate.
- Sprinkle generously with Powdered Sugar and Cinnamon Powder (optional).
- Enjoy warm.