rice kheer recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
rice kheer – a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron.
- 1 litre full fat organic milk
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- 5 to 6 tbsp sugar or as required
- 6 green cardamoms, powdered
- a pinch of saffron
- 15-20 almonds, blanched and sliced
- 12-15 cashews
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- rinse the rice till the water runs clears of the starch.
- soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- heat milk and let it come to a boil.
- meanwhile drain the rice and keep aside.
- reduce the flame and add the rice.
- stir and simmer the milk and let the rice grains cook.
- the whole process of cooking the rice in the milk takes about approx 35-37 minutes on a low flame.
- you want the rice to really cook well and the kheer also thickened somewhat.
- after the rice is added, add the sugar.
- stir and continue to stir often so that lumps are not formed.
- scrape the sides of the pan and add this dried milk into the pan.
- meanwhile in a microwave safe bowl take the almonds and cover it with water.
- microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- let the almonds cool and then peel them.
- slice them along with the cashews.
- rinse the raisins and keep aside.
- take the cardamoms in a mortar-pestle and then powder them finely.
- remove the peels and keep the powdered cardamom aside.
- when the rice is almost ¾th done, add the almonds, cashews,cardamom powder and saffron.
- cook further till the rice grains are completely cooked.
- the kheer would also thicken by then.
- remember to keep on scraping the sides and adding the dried milk from the sides in the simmering kheer.
- switch off the flame and add the raisins.
- you can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm.
- or pour in serving bowls and refrigerate.
- this rice kheer stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
rose water can also be added to the rice kheer.