Seitan – Tandoori Style Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
Summers, picnics, barbecues… Its the perfect time to grill up some tandoori style seitan. Made from vital wheat gluten, seitan is the answer for vegetarians looking for a great meat substitute. Once the basic seitan recipe is made, you can use it for many different types of dishes. Try this Tandoori Seitan recipe for your next barbecue.
- Prepared Seitan Fillets- from one cup vital wheat gluten (see recipe here)
- For the Marinade:
- Greek Yogurt – 1 cup (can be substituted with thick yogurt or hung yogurt)
- Tandoori Masala – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Green Chilies – to taste, minced
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
- Spray Cooking Oil or Oil – for grilling or pan frying
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and mix well.
- Gently squeeze excess liquid from Seitan fillets and add fillets to the marinade.
- Gently mix to evenly coat marinade over Seitan fillets.
- Cover bowl with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours (overnight if you have the time).
- Marinated Seitan can be grilled (lightly coat grill with spray cooking oil) or pan fried with a drizzle of oil. Cook both sides until lightly charred.
- Serve hot with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.