Recipe type: easy recipes spl
Indian Gooseberry (Nellikai, Amla) is a fruit in south india which is famous for its health benefits. It is very rich in vitamin C and is also good for people with diabetes, cholestrol and cancer. The fruit by itself has a sour and bitter taste. It leaves a nice sweet aftertaste which many people enjoy. Kids enjoy to eat the raw fruit with some salt. It is also stored in salted water for many days.
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Gooseberry - 1 cup (Grated)
- Cilantro - 2 springs (Chopped)
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- For Tempering:
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Channa Dal - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1" piece (chopped)
- Red chillies - 2
- Green Chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Curry leaves - few
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Cook the basmati rice, fluff it up with a fork and let it cool. You can also use leftover rice for this.
- Heat oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
- Add the chopped ginger, red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the grated gooseberry, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for few minutes.
- Mix in the cooked rice. Toss everything together.
- Garnish with Cilantro. Let it rest for few minutes before serving for the flavours to be absorbed by the rice.