Recipe type: Appetiser
Lemon Rice is one of the many rice dishes that are an integral part of South Indian Cuisine. It is a flavorful tangy twist to plain white rice. Some of the other varieties of rice from the South are Coconut Rice, Yogurt/Curd Rice, Sesame Rice, Tomato Rice, Tamarind Rice…only to name a few! Try this quick, easy recipe that is so visually appealing. It is sure to spruce up any kind of rice – fresh or leftover.
- Cooked Rice – 3 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Dried Red Chili – 1
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
- Channa Daal - 1 tsp
- Raw Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Cashews – 1 tbsp
- Urad Daal - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Asofoetida – pinch
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Green Chili – 1, finely chopped (optional)
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Lemon/Lime Juice – 2 tbsp or to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro - 5 springs, for garnishing
- Mix Salt and Lemon Juice to the Rice. Mix well.
- In a pan, heat oil and wait for it to get hot.
- Once hot, add in the Dried Whole Chili. Break the Chili into the oil for additional spicy flavor.
- Add in the Mustard Seeds and let them pop and crackle.
- Add i n the Channa Daal and cook for a minute.
- Add in Raw Peanuts and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the Cashews, Urad Daal, Turmeric Powder, Asofoetida, Ginger, Green Chilies, Curry Leaves…in that order.
- Add in the Rice and mix well but gently.
- Keep on the flame till the rice is hot all the way through.
- Garnish with Cilantro and it is ready to serve.