Shrimp (Prawn) Biryani
Recipe type: Appetiser
If you’re tired of the same old biryanis, try this Goan inspired recipe for Shrimp (Prawn) Biryani. With the creaminess of coconut milk and freshness of mint, it’s the perfect combination
- Shrimp – ½ lb, cleaned and de-veined (tail on or off)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1″pc.
- Ginger, Garlic & Green Chillies – 2 tbsp
- Fried Onions – ½ cup
- Tomatoes – 2 med, chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – to taste
- Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
- Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup, washed and drained, but NOT soaked
- Clarified Butter/Ghee – 1 Tbsp, for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom and Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add Fried Onions and mix.
- Add Tomatoes and Shrimp — mix.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Salt and Mint Leaves — mix.
- Add Coconut Milk and washed Rice — mix well.
- Cover, pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove. (Electric stove users — remove from the stove)
- Allow pressure to go down by itself.
- Open pressure cooker and fluff biryani with a fork.
- Drizzle Clarified Butter (ghee) over the top, cover and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.