Vangi Bhaath (Rice with Eggplants) Recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
Another great one dish wonder, the Vangi Bhaath recipe is a Eggplant lovers dream! The flavor of the fresh spices are just amazing. Easy and full filling enough to satisfy all the senses – visually very appealing, the aroma is just fabulous, the texture of the rice and the eggplant combination – GREAT and the flavor – yuuuumm, mm mmmm… A great way to use and freshen up left-over rice. The flavors are so great, you won’t need anything to go with it but if you have to – try some yogurt or pickles! Finger-licking good…
- Cinnamon sticks – 1″ piece
- Cloves – 5
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chillies -to taste
- 1. Dry roast on low flame in a heavy bottomed skillet: Cinnamon Stick, Cloves and Channa Daal.
- 2. After a minute or 2, add in Coriander Seeds, Urad Daal and Red Chillies and roast till you get a color and aroma.
- 3. Keep stirring continuously and once done transfer to a plate or a bowl and allow it to cool down.
- 4. Once the spices have cooled down, grind to a fine powder and keep aside till ready to use.
- 5. Extra Masala can be stored in an airtight container for later use..
- Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
- Water – 2 Cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- We washed the Rice and soaked it for half an hour.
- We used a Rice-cooker and cooked the rice along with the Salt.
- Once done, remove the Rice from the cooker immediately and transfer to a plate and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Keep aside to use later.
- Make the Rice on the stove-top, microwave or used left-over rice for this application.
- Balance Ingredients:
- Eggplant/Brinjal – 1.5 lbs (3 long or 7 small round)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Raw Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Green Beans – ½ cup (1″ pc) – optional
- Tamarind Pulp – ¼ cup or soak a small lime sized tamarind in warm water for 15 mins and extract the juice
- Vangi Bhaath Powder- 2 tsp or to taste
- Dry Coconut Powder – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Wash and cut the eggplants into thin long pieces. Soak them in Cold water with a pinch of salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once hot, add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add the Chana Daal and cook for a min.
- Add the Raw Peanuts and allow the color of the daal and the Peanuts to change a bit.
- Add in Turmeric Powder and Curry Leaves.
- Add the Eggplants, Green beans(if using). Mix well so the Oil coats all the vegetables.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat.
- Cook till the Eggplants are done and keep stirring intermittently.
- Add Jaggery, Tamarind, Salt, Jaggery, Vangi Bhaat Masala and Dry Coconut Powder.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the Cooked Rice and mix it in gently and little at a time.
- Once mixed in, cover and allow the rice to get heated all the way through.
- Garnish with some Cilantro and serve hot.