Barbecued Tandoori Chicken
Recipe type: Curries
The reason tandoori was so popular at our family feasts was that few people knew how to make it at home. Tandoori chicken was developed in India.anyone can cokk easily at home using this recipe.
- 3 very young broiling chickens (about 2 to 2-1/4 pounds each)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons unseasoned natural meat tenderizer
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- For marinate:
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground roasted cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon tandoori coloring, or 1 tablespoon paprika
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- Usli ghee or light vegetable oil for basting
- Cut the wings off the chickens. Remove the neckbone carefully. Place the chickens on a cutting board and quarter them neatly.
- Then pull away the skin, using kitchen towels for a better grip if necessary. (Reserve the wings, neck, and skin for the stockpot.)
- Prick the chicken all over with fork or a thin skewer. Make diagonal slashes, + inch deep, 1 inch apart on the meat. Put the meat in a large bowl.
- Add meat tenderizer and lemon juice to the chicken, and rub them into the slashes and all over for 2 minutes. Cover and marinate for + hour.
- Put all the ingredients of the marinade into the container of an electric blender or food processor, and blend until reduced to a smooth sauce. (Alternatively, garlic and ginger may be crushed to a paste and blended with the remaining ingredients.)
- Pour this marinade over the chicken pieces and mix, turning and tossing, to coat all the pieces well.
- Cover and marinate for 4 hours at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- Chicken should not remain in the marinade for more than 2 days, because the marinade contains a meat tenderizer which, with prolonged marinating, alters the texture of the chicken meat to very soft and doughy. Take the chicken from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature. The chicken is now ready to be either roasted in the oven or broiled over an electric or charcoal grill.
- To Roast in the Oven:
- Start heating the oven to 500-550 degrees. Take the chickens out of the marinade. Brush them with the ghee or vegetable oil, and place them on an extra-large shallow roasting pan, preferably on a wire rack. Set the pan in the middle level of the oven, and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through. There is no need to baste while the chicken pieces are roasting, because the enclosed environment keeps the chickens from drying excessively.
- To Broil Indoors:
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the grill with a little oil to prevent the meat’s sticking. Place the chicken pieces, slashed side up, on the grill, and brush the slashed side with ghee or vegetable oil. Cook 2 to 3 inches away from the heat for 20 minutes. Turn and cook the other side for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through. Brush often with ghee or vegetable oil during cooking.