Recipe type: Curries
Chicken Vindaloo is a dish that needs no introduction. A famous, often fiery, red curry from Goa, vindaloo has made a name for itself in the world of books. Like the beautiful land of Goa, it is calm and inviting on the surface but oozing with depths of flavor and spices. You can’t rush Vindaloo… it takes time, patience and a little effort but it is worth it’s weight in gold :)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – 2.5 lb (1.25kg) bite size pcs.
- Onions – 4 cups
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tbsp
- Deghi Mirch / Kashmiri Mirch – 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Potatoes – 2 medium, peeled & cubed
- Water – 4 cups
- White Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- For the Marinade:
- Dry Red Chillies – 12 or to taste
- White Vinegar – ¼ cup (4 tbsp)
- Cloves – 7
- Peppercorns – 15 or to taste
- Cinnamon Sticks – 2″ piece
- Ginger – approx. 2 tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 12 large cloves
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
- Deghi Mirch / Kashmiri Mirch – 2 tsp
- Water – 2-4 tbsp for grinding
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Soak the Dry Red Chillies in ¼ cup of White Vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Pour into the blender, along with Cloves, Peppercorns, Cinnamon Sticks, Ginger, Garlic, Deghi Mirch, Cumin Seeds and Turmeric Powder.
- Grind into a smooth paste, use 2-4 tbsp of Water if needed to help with grinding.
- Prep Chicken by cutting to bite-size pieces, washing and patting it dry with a paper-towel.
- Mix the marinade into the Chicken, add Salt, cover allow it to marinade in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight if possible).
- In the same grinder, blend the onions into a fine paste and mix into the marinated Chicken.
- In a large pan, heat the Clarified Butter (Ghee) on medium heat.
- Once hot, add additional Peppercorns and Cloves.
- Once they start sizzling, add in the Chicken, mix and allow the chicken to turn color (approx 10 min)
- Add in Potatoes, Deghi Mirch, Water and White Vinegar.
- Mix, lower heat to a medium-low, cover and cook for approx. an hour. Stir intermittently.
- After and hour, check on the Potatoes, they should be cooked. Check on your Salt and spices and adjust if needed.
- Turn off the stove and serve over white Rice or with some hot Naans.
1. Vindaloo tastes great the next day!