Coconut Fish (Steamed)
Recipe type: Curries
Fish, when delicately cooked with exotic flavors, makes the heart and the mind sing beautiful songs. In this recipe, the fish is steamed in a banana leaf, takes the dish to another level. The banana leaf flavors the fish ever so beautifully and delicately, making the taste buds very happy
- Fish Fillets (tilapia, salmon, flounder, halibut) – 1 lb
- For the Marinade:Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic Cloves – 5 large
- Ginger – same amount as garlic
- Fresh Shredded Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Dry Red Chillies – to taste
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Cilantro – handful
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Coconut Milk – ¼ cup
- Wash and pat dry the Fish Fillets.
- Salt lightly and keep aside for 10-15 min. to remove fish odor.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade.
- Combine everything into a spice blender and blend into a fine paste.
- Wash the salt off the fish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Marinate and cover the fish. Marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Wipe the Banana Leaf and place the fish in the center.
- Wrap the fish with the banana leaf and tie with a thread.
- Place in a steamer, cover and cook for 15-18 minutes.
- Once done, unwrap and transfer onto a plate and serve hot.
1. Baking Method: Follow the same steps but place in a 350 degrees F, pre-heated oven and bake for 15-18 min. 2. No banana leaf? No worries! Wrap in a foil and bake or steam.