Recipe type: Curries
Keema (aka kheema or qeema) is a flavorful minced meat (beef or lamb) dish said to have originated in Persia but extremely popular in the Indian sub-continent. Other meats such as mutton, chicken or turkey can also be used in this recipe. Try this delicious version with matar or mutter (green peas). You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make.
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Whole Cloves – 2
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
- Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
- Ground (Minced) Meat – 1 pound, any variety
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Water – ½ cup or little more
- Cilantro – finely chopped for garnishing
- Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom and Whole Cloves. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add Onions and a little salt, mix well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add Ginger and Garlic, mix well and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until Onions turn brown and oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add Green Chilies and Tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir a few times in between.
- Remove cover and continue to cook until oil starts to separate from the mixture again.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Cumin Powder. Mix well and switch off stove.
- Add the above Masala to a pressure cooker and add washed and drained ground meat. Mix well and cook until the color of the meat starts to change.
- Add water and salt, mix well, close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 1 whistle on medium heat.
- After the first whistle sounds, reduce the flame to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes. More whistles may sound and that is OK.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and allow the pressure to go down before opening the lid.
- Add Green Peas (cooked in the microwave for 1 minute with a little water) and Garam Masala and cook for 2-3 mintues.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro.
- Serves 4