Hyderabadi Lal Gosht
Recipe type: Curries
Try this super simple yet delicious recipe for Hyderabadi Lal Gosht (Mutton)
- Mutton – 1 pound (1/2 kg)
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Whole Cloves – 4 to 5
- Whole Peppercorns – 4 to 5
- Green Cardamoms – 4
- Cinnamon Stick – 2″ piece
- Mint Leaves – 2 handfuls, chopped
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – ¼ cup, chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 2 Tbsp
- Fried Onions – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- For the seasoning:
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Black Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Green Chilies – to taste, slit
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash and drain Mutton.
- From the ingredients list above, mix all of the ingredients from “Yogurt” to “Fried Onions” in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add washed and drained Mutton and mix well to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl and allow the Mutton to marinate for minimum 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Remove Mutton from the fridge and add it to a pressure cooker.
- Add ½ cup water, mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Reduce the flame to a simmer and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Wait until all of the pressure is gone from the cooker before opening lid.
- Continue cooking if you prefer the gravy to be less liquidy.
- Heat Oil in a small skillet.
- Add Black Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add Green Chilies and Curry Leaves. Mix well and add seasoning to the Mutton.
- Serve hot with rice or naan.