Recipe type: Curries
This South African Malay curry gets a kick of heat from cayenne pepper.
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised (see note)
- 3 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp Masterfoods allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1.2kg gravy beef, fat trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 4cm-piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbs grapeseed oil
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 375ml (1½ cups) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) crushed tomatoes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- Saffron rice, to serve
- Combine the beef, ginger, garlic, cardamom, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin, allspice and cinnamon in a glass bowl. Season. Cover. Marinate in fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until light golden. Stir in the beef mixture for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the stock, tomato and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, partially covered, stirring often, for 1 hour 50 minutes or until beef is almost tender. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Serve with rice.
If unavailable, use ¼ tsp ground cardamom.