Prawn Ghassi (coconut-based prawn curry)
Recipe type: Curries
In this popular Malwani (from the western coast of India) curry, the delicate flavors of coconut are a perfect complement to the taste of the prawns.
- 1 kg medium-sized prawns/shrimps (shelled and deveined)
- 3 large onions chopped fine
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 5 dry red chillies
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1½ tbsps black peppercorns
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Walnut-sized ball of tamarind, soaked in hot water and pulp removed
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Roast the dry red chillies on a hot pan till they begin to release their aroma.
- Grind all the spices, coconut, 2 of the onions, garlic and tamarind pulp into a smooth, thick paste. Do not add any water while grinding the masala.
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame. Add the remaining onion and fry till golden.
- Add the wet masala paste and fry, stirring frequently, till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add 1½ cups of hot water to this masala and stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil, simmer and add the prawns. Cook for 3 minutes and turn off fire.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain boiled rice.