Seekh Kebab Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Seekh Kebabs are flavorful little appetizers made from lamb (chicken or beef can also be used) that are traditionally prepared in a Tandoor (clay oven). Since most of us don’t have tandoors, try this easy recipe to make them at home. The use of fresh roasted and ground spices takes the flavor up a notch! Seekh kebab ( (also occasionally known as kebap, kabab, kebob, kabob, kibob, kebhav, kephav) ) is a recipe inspired from middle eastern tradition.
- Ground Lamb -1¼ lbs (approx ½ kg) – chicken or beef can also be used
- Fried Onions – 1 cup (75 g)
- Cilantro (Coriander) – 20 sprigs, finely chopped
- Green Chilies -to taste, finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Whole Dry Red Chili – 3 or to taste
- Egg – ½, beaten
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tsp
- Whole Black Peppercorns – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Bread Crumbs – if needed for binding
- Oil – for pan frying
- In a stainless steel pan, dry roast Coriander Seeds, Dry Red Chilies (broken) and Whole Black Peppercorns until golden brown and aroma is released. Remove spices from hot pan and allow to cool.
- Wash and drain Meat and blot with a paper towel to absorb as much moisture as possible.
- To the Meat, add Fried Onions, Cilantro (Coriander Leaves), Green Chilies, Ginger/Garlic Paste, Garam Masala, Dry Mango Powder (amchur) and Salt.
- Grind the cooled whole spices into a fine powder and add it to the meat.
- Mix well (hands work great!), cover and keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate.
- Remove from fridge, and mix in ½ of a beaten egg. If the mixture seems to “wet” to hold the shape of the kebab, Bread Crumbs can be added to absorb the moisture.
- Heat a little Oil on a skillet.
- Shape the Meat mixture into 3 inch ovals, slightly flatten them and place them on the hot Oil.
- Brown the kebabs on one side, then flip them over and brown on the other side.
- Serve hot with Mint Chutney.
If you are making a large batch of the kebabs, you can place them on an oiled baking sheet, spray them with cooking oil and broil them on High in your oven for 5-7 minutes on each side.