Tomato and lamb curry
Recipe type: Curries
This is the most popular curry on Taste.com.au. Try it tonight and don't forget to tell us what you think!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500g lamb leg steaks, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 100g (1/3 cup) rogan josh curry paste
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 750g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 200g green beans, topped, coarsely chopped
- 150g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 270g (11/3 cups) basmati rice
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- Heat 3 teaspoons of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the lamb and cook, turning, for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with the remaining lamb.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato, tomato paste, stock and pumpkin. Cover and bring to a simmer. Add the lamb and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is almost tender.
- Add the beans and peas and cook, partially covered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice, following packet directions. Drain. Divide the rice among serving bowls. Top with curry and coriander and serve.
At the end of step 3, set the lamb mixture aside for 10 minutes to cool. Stir in the beans and peas. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container. Label, date and freeze for up to three months. To thaw & cook: Place in the fridge overnight or until thawed. Place the curry in a large saucepan over low heat. Cover and slowly bring to the boil. Increase heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 10-15 minutes or until the beans are tender and curry is heated through. Continue from step 5.