French Onion Soup with Cheese Souffle
Recipe type: Appetiser
A classic French soup served with cheese souffle as light as a feather.very easy to make at home and very healthy for kids.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 20 gm butter
- ½ tsp castor sugar
- ½ kg onions - sliced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 4-6 rounds of buttered toast
- For the souffle
- 20 gm butter
- 1½ tbsp flour
- ⅔ cups warm milk
- ½ tsp French mustard
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp grated cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp bread crumb
- For the soup, heat butter in a deep vessel and add olive oil and castor sugar.
- Add onions and cook on low heat till they turn golden brown in color.
- Pour in the stock and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for about one hour. The soup should reduce to four cups. Keep aside.
- For the souffle, heat butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir over low heat for some time to make a paste.
- Pour in the milk, continue stirring and bring to boil making a smooth thick sauce.
- Mix in the mustard, pepper and salt.
- Switch off the gas and stir in the cheese.
- Let the sauce cool and the beaten egg yolks gradually with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry.
- Fold it into the cheese sauce with a light hand.
- Now pour the soup into a baking dish and place the toasts on top. Pour the souffle mixture over the toasts. Sprinkle the bread crumbs, cheese and butter on top.
- Heat the oven to 230 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes or until the souffle is well risen and golden in color. Serve immediately.