Recipe type: soups
Everyone is sure to relish this tempting, indian-style corn soup which helps to increase your vitamin b3 (niacin) levels to ensure overall good health. Serve hot with garlic bread, to make an absolutely healthy and hearty meal.
- ¾ cup sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 clove (laung / lavang)
- 25 mm (1") stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ½ tsp sliced garlic (lehsun)
- ½ cup carrot cubes
- ½ tsp crushed coriander (dhania) seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup low fat milk
- For The Garnish
- roasted corn (makai ke dane) kernels
- a sprig of coriander (dhania)
- For Serving
- lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the clove, cinnamon, peppercorns, bay leaf, onions and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, coriander seeds, cumin seeds powder and turmeric powder and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels, 2 cups of water and salt and simmer over a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till the corn is cooked.
- Cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the puree back into the pan, add the milk and bring to boil.
- Garnish with the corn kernels and coriander sprig and serve hot with lemon juice.