Broccoli and Baby Corn Stir-fry ( Chinese Cooking )
Recipe type: Curries
Broccoli is called ‘gai lan’ in chinese and is an extremely favorite vegetable in the chinese kitchen. A stir-fry with broccoli is probably one of the fastest cooking dishes and very delicious too. Broccoli and baby corn are tossed in together with capsicum, onions, french beans and cucumber and topped with some crunchy cashews. Fresh pepper, garlic and soya sauce blend well with the vegetables giving out a delicious aroma. This stir-fry looks a beautiful green and yellow, and is certain to grab attention when laid on the table. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- ½ cup onions , cut into wedges
- ½ cup capsicum , cut into wedges
- 1¼ cups broccoli or cauliflower florets , parboiled
- ¾ cup diagonally sliced baby corn , parboiled
- ½ cup french beans , cut diagonally , parboiled
- ¼ cup diagonally sliced cucumber
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in ¾ cup water
- a pinch sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
- For The Topping
- 7 to 8 cashewnuts (kaju) , lightly fried
- Heat the oil in a wok / kadhai on a high flame till it smokes.
- Add the garlic and sauté on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, capsicum, broccoli, baby corn, french beans and cucumber and sauté on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cornflour mixture, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer till the sauce thickens. Serve hot topped with the fried cashewnuts.