Asparagus Fondue with Cream Crackers ( Diabetic Recipe )
Recipe type: Snacks
The benefits of greens mixed in the creamy mixture of cheese and milk provides the perfect dip for creamy crackers…. . A delightful treat for your family and friends. A yummy option for the calorie conscious as well. Serve the way you want either with khakhras, cream crackers, vegetables etc. Usually there is lots of cheese in this dip, however you cut calories i reduce the cheese and to give the same thickness and texture added cornflour and milk that thickens it. Surely a must try!
- ¾ cup chopped asparagus
- 1 tsp low fat butter
- ½ cup low fat milk (99.7% fat-free)
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp
- low fat milk (99.7% fat-free)
- ¼ cup grated cooking cheese
- salt and to taste
- ¼ cup asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp low fat cream
- For Serving
- 16 cream cracker biscuits / vegetable sticks
- Combine the asparagus with 1 cup of water in a non-stick deep pan and cook over a medium flame till it softens. Keep aside.
- When cool, blend in a mixer till smooth. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in another non-stick pan, add the asparagus purée and sauté over a medium flame for few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, cornflour-milk mixture, cheese, salt and pepper, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the flame, add the asparagus spears and cream and mix gently.
- Serve hot with cream cracker biscuits or vegetable sticks.
This recipe has been developed only to satisfy the occasionally craving of a diabetic for exotic dishes as it contains certain ingredients which need to be used restrictively. Hence this does not qualify as a regular everyday meal.