Handvo Recipe (Handwa)
Recipe type: Snacks
Here’s a Gujarati recipe that’s had a lot of requests. Handvo (or Handwa) is an all time favorite snack — perfect for tea time, brunch, anytime! Savory inside with a nutty Sesame Seed crust…just one word — YUM!
- Long Grain Rice – 1 cup (200 gms)
- Channa Daal – ¼ cup (50 gms)
- Toor Daal – ¼ cup (50 gms)
- Urad Daal – 1 heaping Tbsp
- Yogurt – ½ cup (150 gms)
- Green Chilies – 2 – 3 or to taste, finely chopped or ground
- Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic Paste- 2 tsp (approx 3 large cloves)
- Opo/Bottlegourd/Doodhi/Lauki – 1.5 cup, shredded and packed ( approx 12 oz)
- Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
- Ajwain – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Eno Fruit Salt – 1 tsp
- Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp (divided)
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Wash Rice and all Daals and soak them for at least 4-6 hours.
- Drain water from Rice/Daal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt (if possible, do not add any additional water while grinding). Food processor or blender may be used.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add batter from above and mix in the following: Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Ajwain, Turmeric Powder and Doodhi/Lauki. Mix well.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil slightly. Add Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Add this Oil mixture to the above batter and mix well.
- Cover and let this batter rest for 6-7 hours or overnight (no need to refrigerate).
- Add Eno Fruit Salt and mix well to make the batter foamy.
- Divide batter into greased muffin pan or pour int a greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle Sesame Seeds over the top of the batter.
- In a small skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp Oil.
- Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop. Switch off stove.
- Add Asafoetida to the oil.
- Drizzle this oil seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil on High for approx 10 minutes until a light golden crust forms.
- Let the handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before eating.