Recipe type: Snacks
If you are looking to make a hearty, healthy meal, look no further. Try this easy Mexican Lasagna recipe with the layering concept of traditional Italian lasagna but with a Mexican twist on the ingredients.
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Red Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 large, sliced into bite size pieces
- Onion – 1 large, sliced
- Taco Seasoning – 1 Tbsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Corn Tortillas – approx 12, cut in half
- Prepared Refried Beans – 1 can (click here for recipe)
- Black Beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cheese – as much as you like (Colby/Jack or Cheddar are good options)
- Black Olives – optional
- Jalapenos – optional
- Spray Cooking Oil
- Preheat Oven 375F/190C
- Heat Oil in a skillet and add Bell Peppers and Onions. Mix well.
- Add Taco Seasoning and saute on high heat until lightly caramelized on top but still crunchy.
- Add Salt, mix well and remove from pan into another plate to stop further cooking. Keep aside.
- Lightly coat an oven safe casserole dish (approx 9in x 5in) with spray cooking oil.
- Place few Corn Tortillas on the bottom of casserole dish to completely cover (overlap if necessary).
- Lightly spray cooking oil over the tortillas.
- Spread ⅓ of Refried Beans over tortillas.
- Spread ⅓ of Veggie mixture over beans.
- Spread ⅓ of Black Beans over veggies. (Reserve a few tablespoons of black beans for garnishing)
- Sprinkle as much cheese as desired over the beans.
- Arrange a second layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
- Arrange a third layer of tortillas and follow all above steps.
- End with a final layer of tortillas, sprinkle cheese over the top and garnish with a few black beans, black olives, jalapenos, etc.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes at 375F/190C. Remove foil and broil for 3-5 minutes to lightly brown cheese.
- Allow Mexican Lasagna to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc.