Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Recipe type: Dessert
Have you seen tomatillos at the grocery store and wondered how you would use this funny little “green tomato” with the papery skin? Well, tomatillos are not green tomatoes but they do make a wonderful roasted salsa. Try this delicious roasted tomatillo salsa recipe simply as a dip with chips or take it to the next level by including it with a Mexican feast.
- Tomatillos – 1 lb (husk removed, washed well and cut in half)
- Jalapeno Peppers – approx 4 or to taste (try Serrano Peppers for a spicier kick)
- Onion – 1 medium, quartered
- Garlic – 6 large cloves
- Cilantro – big handful
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Lime Juice – to taste
- Line a large baking tray with rims with foil.
- Light coat with oil or spray cooking oil.
- Arrange Tomatillos and Jalapeno Peppers cut side down on the tray. Arrange Onion and Garlic on the tray. Arrange in a single layer.
- Set oven to Broil (High) and broil until dark charred spots appear over veggies (approx 10 minutes). For a more smoky flavored salsa, broil longer.
- Allow veggies to cool and transfer to a food processor.
- Add Cilantro, Roasted Cumin Powder, Salt, Sugar and Lime Juice.
- Pulse the food processor until desired texture is attained.
- Serve with chips or with a Mexican meal (works great as an enchilada sauce).