Doodhi Vadi Nu Shaak
Recipe type: Curries
Doodhi vadi nu shaak a new version of bootle guard (lauki) shaak with chola dal vadi.
- ¾ cup chola dal (split cow peas) vadis
- 500 gms chopped bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- 3 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- oil for deep frying
- For Garnishing
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- For Serving
- Heat the oil in kadhai and deep fry the vadis till they turn golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in another pan, add the bottle gourd with little water, salt and soda bi carb, mix well and cover and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes, stirring once in between.
- When the doodhi is half cooked, add the vadi, mix well, cover and cook on medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the bottle gourd and vadi becomes tender.
- Add little water if required and add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania-jeera powder, sugar, asafoetida and coriander, mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with chapatis.
Do not cook for long time after adding vadi, as overcooking will mash the vadis.