Fenugreek Drumstick Leaves Thoran
Recipe type: Curries
Fenugreek drumstick leaves thoran is a unique dal recipe with tuar dal mixed with drumsticks leaves and other vegetables. Serve the delicious drumstick thoran with steamed rice.
- 2 tbsp sprouted fenugreek (methi) seeds
- ½ cup toovar (arhar) dal
- 1 cup drumstick leaves
- ½ to3/4 cup grated coconut
- 6 small onions
- 2 garlic (lehsun)
- 2 green chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 2 red chillies , broken
- a spring of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- oil for tempering
- salt to taste
- Clean and remove the drumstick leaves from the stem.
- Cook tur dal till just done.one whistle in the pressure cooker.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard seeds and broken red chili and when they crackle add 3 small onions chopped. when it is sauted add drumstick leaves and germinated fenugreek seeds . cover and cook. sprinkle some water if necessary. when done add tur dal cooked.
- Combine coconut scraped, 3 small onions (optional) green chilli and turmeric powder in a mix without adding water for 1 sec. masala should be dry and just crushed.
- Open the lid make a well in the centre of the leaves and dal and put the masala and cover with the leaves. add curry leaves. let it steam for 2 -3 mts and stir till coconut is well coated on the leaves and dal.
- Serve hot with white rice topped with ghee.