Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
Chocolate Mousse is a rich but remarkably light and fluffy dessert. Try this easy chocolate mousse recipe that has a hint of coffee flavor and you won’t even think about going to a fancy restaurant to enjoy such a delectable delight.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1 cup
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Hot Water – 2 Tbsp
- Instant Coffee Powder – 2 tsp
- Eggs – 2 large (separated into yolks and whites)
- Sugar – 1 tsp (to be mixed with egg yolks)
- Cream of Tartar – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ⅛ tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp (to be mixed with egg whites)
- Heavy Whipping Cream – ½ cup
- Vanilla Extract – ½ tsp
- Powdered Sugar – 1 Tbsp
- Mix Instant Coffee into the 2 Tbsp of Hot Water.
- In a mixing bowl, add Chocolate Chips, Butter and Coffee mixture and melt it into a smooth sauce using a double boiler method. Keep aside to lightly cool.
- In another mixing bowl, add 2 Egg Yolks and 1 tsp Sugar and place on the double boiler. Keep whisking until eggs turn a light lemon yellow color (approx 2½ minutes).
- Immediately mix together hot egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture until smooth. Allow mixture to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 Egg Whites, Cream of Tartar and Salt. Beat until soft peaks appear.
- Add 2 tsp Sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, add Heavy Whipping Cream, Vanilla Extract and Powdered Sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add ⅓ of Egg Whites into Chocolate mixture and quickly mix through.
- Add remaining Egg Whites and gently fold in.
- Add Whipped Cream a little at a time and gently fold in. Avoid over mixing.
- Either pipe or spoon mousse into serving cups and chill in the refrigerator for a minimun of 2 hours.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and serve cold.