Macaroons (with Walnuts and Cornflakes)
Recipe type: Dessert
Having found my Grand Mother’s recipe book from mid last century, the first thing we tried out was these Macaroons! They were just amazing – the crisp exterior and the soft interior, what a perfect balance. What we loved was the simplicity of the recipe and the availability of the ingredients. Enjoy these delicious small wonders.
- Dry Shredded Coconut – ½ cup
- Chopped Walnuts – ½ cup
- Crushed Cornflakes – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Egg White of 1 Large Egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (approx 180 degrees C)
- Separate the White from the Yolk (yellow) of a large Egg.
- Place the White in a bowl.
- Beat the White for about 30 seconds with an electric mixer till the whites get frothy.
- Add in the Sugar and beat again till the Sugar incorporates into the White.
- Fold in the balance of the ingredients – Walnuts, Cornflakes and Coconut.
- Mix in till incorporated well. Do not over mix.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Or else lightly oil or butter the tray.
- Spoon the batter into desired size mounds (do not flatten) and spread on the baking tray.
- Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on the size of the Macaroons.
- Once baked,allow them to rest for 3-5 min and transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to cool for another 10-15 min.
- Enjoy them or store them in an air-tight container.