Nan Khatai (Eggless Cookies)
Recipe type: Dessert
Around this time of year (or any time of the year, for that matter), everyone is looking for cookie recipes. Here is a Nan Khatai (Indian Tea or Coffee biscuits) recipe that is so simple that you’ll want to whip up a batch right now! With no frills, no fancy ingredients and no eggs, even the kids can take part in this yummy baking experience!
- Unsalted Butter – 1 stick (1/2 cup, 4 oz) at room temperature
- Powdered Sugar – ½ cup
- Nutmeg Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
- Baking Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ⅛ tsp
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F or 150 degress C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar (little at a time) with the softened butter until mixture is light and creamy.
- Add Nutmeg Powder and Cardamom Powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift All Purpose Flour with Baking Powder and Salt.
- Combine Flour mixture (little at a time) with Butter Mixture to form a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Knead dough once again and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a smooth ball with no cracks and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax/parchment paper or lightly greased foil. Leave ample space between dough balls.
- Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes (keep a close eye – nan khatai should remain white).
- Remove from oven and let the nan khatai cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before eating.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.