Basic Milanese risotto
Recipe type: Appetiser
Creamy risotto gets a gourmet makeover with the addition of peas and saffron.
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ cups (330g) arborio rice
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (150g) frozen peas
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan, plus flaked parmesan, to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Step 1
- Combine the stock and saffron in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue at a gentle simmer. Heat the oil and butter in a large shallow saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the rice and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1-2 minutes or until rice grains appear glassy and are coated in butter mixture.
- Step 2
- Add the wine and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until liquid is completely absorbed. Add ½ cup (125ml) of the simmering stock to the rice and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the liquid is completely absorbed. Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and risotto is creamy. Add the peas and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Step 3
- Add grated parmesan and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon immediately among serving bowls. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan flakes. Serve immediately.