Dahi Vada – Indian Appetizer Recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
Dahi Vada are dumplings made from split black gram beans (urad daal) and soaked in a yogurt sauce. Sweet, tangy and spicy toppings such as tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, red chili powder, etc are layered on to make dahi vada a super delicious appetizer or chaat item.
- Split Black Gram (Urad daal) – 1 cup
- Water – little over ½ cup for grinding
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp for the batter
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Yogurt – 2 cups, well beaten
- Water or Milk to thin yogurt – as needed
- Chaat Masala – to taste, for garnishing
- Roasted Cumin Powder – to taste, for garnishing
- Red Chili Powder – to taste, for garnishing
- Green Chutney – to taste, for garnishing
- Tamarind Chutney – to taste, for garnishing
- Cilantro/Coriander – finely chopped, for garnishing
- Soak Urad Daal for minimum of 6 hrs or overnight if possible.
- Drain off all of the water and grind daal in a blender using very little water.
- Remove batter into a bowl and add Salt and Roasted Cumin Powder.
- Whip the batter with a spoon to make it light and fluffy.
- Heat Oil on medium heat.
- To make the vadas, wet you hand and scoop up a small portion of batter in your hand.
- Using your thumb, make a small hole in the center of the batter.
- Gently flip the batter into the hot oil. Repeat process for all the batter.
- Allow the vada to cook until golden brown on one side and then flip to the other side and cook again.
- Remove the vada onto a paper towel lined plate and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Take a medium bowl filled with water and add a little salt to it.
- Drop the cooled vada into the water and allow them to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove vada and gently press them in your palms to squeeze out the water.
- Place squeezed vada into a serving platter or dish.
- Add enough water (or milk if your yogurt is sour) to yogurt to make it pouring consistency.
- Pour yogurt over the vada to completely coat and submerge them.
- Sprinkle Chaat Masala, Roasted Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder to taste over the yogurt.
- Top with Coriander or Mint Chutney and Tamarind Chutney.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.