Kathal (Jackfruit) Kebabs Recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
Jackfruit or Kathal (in Hindi) can be a very intimidating fruit and one that certainly piques curiosity. It can be had raw, as a in a savory dish or sweet in it’s ripe form. The texture is close to meat and hence known as Vegetarian’s meat. Here we have made Kathal Kebab, a recipe similar to Shammi Kebab, perfect for those vegetarian moments. Enjoy these delicious kebabs and remember to serve them with a side of Green Mint Chutney.
- Jackfruit – 500gm / 1 lb / 2 cans (250gm each), peeled, drained & cubed
- Channa Dal – ½ cup, washed and drained
- Onions – ½ of a large one, roughly chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 6
- Ginger – approx 2 tbsp, roughly chopped
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp
- Black Peppercorns – ½ tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Dry Methi (Fenugreek) leaves – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Dry Mint Leaves – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 1 (or boiled potato – mashed)
- Oil – for pan-frying
- Panko Breadcrumbs – for coating
- Prep the Jackfruit and put into a pressure cooker.
- Also add in Channa Dal, Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Garam Masala, Salt, Black Peppercorns, Dry Methi Leaves and Water.
- Mix well, close pressure cooker and allow it to whistle once on med-high flame, reduce flame to low and cook for 25-30 minutes. Allow the pressure to go down by itself.
- Once the pressure has gone down, open and stir and allow the mixture to cool down a bit before food-processing it.
- Transfer to the food-processor, saving ¼ of the mixture and Dry Mint Leaves.
- Blend until it’s an even consistency. May need to push down and help blend well.
- Once done, add in the mixture that we saved to the food-processor and pulse a few times.
- Transfer into a bowl and add Fresh Lime Juice.
- Check seasonings and Salt. Break an Egg and mix well.
- Heat a skillet with a few teaspoons of Oil to pan fry.
- In a plate, put some Panko. Make flat round kebabs of the mixture and coat it in the Panko bread crumbs.
- Put the Kebabs on the hot skillet and cook on both sides. You may need to drizzle additional Oil and cook.
- Once both sides are light golden brown, take off the skillet and serve hot with chutney.
1. They are great make ahead and re-heat in the oven or skillet for parties. 2. Great to make a big batch and freeze for later use.