Uttappam Recipe and Egg Dosa
Recipe type: Appetiser
Uttapams, Uthappas, Oothappam – little variation in the spelling and the pronunciation but the outcome is just a delicious snack (or meal for some). The Uttappams may look like Pancakes but the similarities end right there. The “Indian Pancake” is usually savory and has toppings that are cooked along with the Uttappam. Traditionally, Uttappams are served with Sambar and one of the endless chutney varieties – Coconut Chutney, Dry Chutney Powder, Onion Chutney or Tomato Chutney. Enjoy the traditional style or any one of the fusion ones. Egg Dosa is another type of Dosa just great fr kids and kids-at-heart. Quick, easy and nutritious.
- Dosa batter
- (a few days old and a little sour)
- Topping Suggestions:
- 1. Chopped Onions, Tomatoes, Cilantro & Green Chillies
- 2. Cubed Paneer & Dry Chutney Powder
- 3. Chopped Roasted Peanuts, Cilantro, Green Chillies and squeeze of Lime
- 4. Jaggery and Chopped Walnuts
- .For Egg Dosa:
- Well-beaten Egg
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Tomatoes, Onions, Green Chillies and Cilantro
- Heat a Dosa skillet on medium heat.
- Salt the Dosa Batter to taste.
- Pour onto the skillet.
- Sprinkle the desired toppings while the batter is still soft and uncooked.
- Drizzle some oil over the Uttappam and allow it to cook on medium heat.
- Once the edges sart to look cooked, flip the Uttappam.
- Press down the Uttappam gently and allow it to cook on this side as well.
- Once done and the toppings get a little color, loosen the edges, flip and take out onto a plate.
- Serve with Sambar or any of the Chutneys.
- Pour the Dosa Batter on the hot dosa skillet and spread just as you would for a regular Dosa.
- Bea an egg and pour over the Dosa.
- Spread it with the back of the spoon and allow it to cook.
- Sprinkle some Oil and then some cheese and/or Onions, Tomatoes, Cilantro and Green Chillies.
- Allow the egg to cook. Flip for just 30 seconds or just fold and serve hot.