Quick Sesame Rice - Nuvvula Annam
Recipe type: Brunch
White sesame seeds are toasted on low flame till golden brown in color. They are then ground into powder with cashews and mixed with steamed rice and spices. Serve quick sesame rice with few tablespoons of yogurt or with raita.
- Steamed Rice 2½ Cups
- Sesame Seeds 3 Tbsps
- Raw Cashews app. 10
- Green Chiles 3 – 4
- Red Chili Powder ¼ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Grind the chopped tomatoes into paste.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash, remove stems and slice the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Grind roasted gram into fine powder.
- Grind coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon into fine powder using a spice blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add ginger garlic paste.
- Fry for couple of seconds, stir in chopped onion.
- Fry till onion is light golden brown, add green chiles and the ground spice powder.
- Fry briefly, stir in pureed tomato, red chili powder and salt.
- Boil till tomato puree cooks and thickens.
- Stir in ground daliya powder, salt and steamed rice.
- Stir carefully and cook covered on low for around 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve spicy tomato rice with your choice of raita.
Make sure rice is not overcooked. Suggestions: Use leftover rice or refrigerated rice if possible. Make sure tomato puree is thick before adding steamed rice. Adjust spice according to taste.