Spicy Tomato Rice
Recipe type: Brunch
Freshly prepared tomato puree and onion are cooked in whole spices and fresh blend of powdered spices. For quick version of tomato rice, use the leftover rice or steamed rice and mix it with the tomato sauce. Cook for couple of minutes and serve spicy tomato rice with raita of your choice.
- Tomato 2
- Steamed Plain Rice 2¼ Cups
- Onion 1
- Ginger Garlic Paste ½ tsp
- Green Chiles 2
- Daliya / Roasted Gram 1 Tbsp
- Coriander Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Cloves 2
- Cinnamon 1 inch Stick
- Red Chili Powder ½ tsp
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Grind the chopped tomatoes into paste.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash, remove stems and slice the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Grind roasted gram into fine powder.
- Grind coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon into fine powder using a spice blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add ginger garlic paste.
- Fry for couple of seconds, stir in chopped onion.
- Fry till onion is light golden brown, add green chiles and the ground spice powder.
- Fry briefly, stir in pureed tomato, red chili powder and salt.
- Boil till tomato puree cooks and thickens.
- Stir in ground daliya powder, salt and steamed rice.
- Stir carefully and cook covered on low for around 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve spicy tomato rice with your choice of raita.
Make sure rice is not overcooked. Suggestions: Use leftover rice or refrigerated rice if possible. Make sure tomato puree is thick before adding steamed rice. Adjust spice according to taste.